Prof. DR.G.G.Gangadharan ( Ayurvedacharya, FAIP (USA), PhD, Mstr.of Mgmt. (McGill, Canada))
Prof. Dr. G. G. Gangadharan, a practicing Ayurvedic physician - is currently the Director of Ramaiah Indic Specialty Ayurveda – Restoration Hospital, (R-ISA), Bengaluru, India. He is an expert on authentic Ayurvedic methods of diagnosis – specially the pulse diagnosis – and treatment, and successfully treats lifestyle disorders. He has dedicated himself to propagation of Ayurveda knowledge and promoting use of Ayurveda and local health traditions at the grass root level in rural parts of India.
To assume leadership to ensure the application of Ayurveda and traditional systems of healthcare to meet contemporary healthcare needs.
To conceive and lead basic and applied research in the field of Traditional Medicine that broadens the frontiers of healthcare research and drug development.
To continuously pursue excellence in Ayurveda in order to be a catalyst in the renaissance of Ayurveda.
To participate in research and development that attempts to uncover the inherent power of the holistic principles of Ayurveda in understanding the cause and remedy for human suffering.
Completed a unique 7½ years Ayurveda Medical Degree ‘Ayurvedacharya’ from Madras University from 1978 - 1985.
Master of Management degree pursuant to the International Masters in Health Leadership (IMHL), a post-doctoral international management program for outstanding senior health leaders, from McGill University, Canada.
PhD on developing a standardized clinical protocol from Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune.
Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public, Ashoka Trust, USA.
- Director, Ramaiah Indic Specialty Ayurvedic – Restoration Hospital since Oct 2014.
- Additional Director, Institute of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine (I-AIM), BANGALORE and Medical Director of its healthcare wing, R-ISA, a 100-bed healthcare facility since 2003. As Additional Director and a part of the top leadership of R-ISA, was involved in steering the organization guiding the major research activities and programs of the organization. As medical director, manages and supervises the 100-bed integrative healthcare center and guides the major research programs of the institute.
- Started career with Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, Coimbatore. Involved in development of new dosage forms and traditional Ayurvedic formulations – classical as well as proprietary. As a technical director at Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, continued to practice Ayurveda and actively lead many initiatives to promote Ayurveda and use of medicinal plants.
- Dr.GG was the Founder Secretary and Executive Director of Lok Swasthya Parampara Samvardhan Samity (LSPSS), an all India network of Individuals and Organizations working to promote Local Health & Traditions (1986 – 2003).
President, Centre for Innovation in Science & Social Action (CISSA), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. CISSA is a non-profit, non-governmental organization of scientists and citizens combining rigorous scientific analysis, innovative policy development and effective citizen advocacy to build a cleaner, safer and healthier world. (www.cissa.co.in). As the head of CISSA, was centrally involved in the conception and execution of a landmark event on national biodiversity called the Indian Biodiversity Congress, 2010 and 2012. Also, was instrumental in CISSA organizing two major events called ‘Annam’ (2008 and 2010) on food security focusing on India’s wholesome food traditions.
CONTRIBUTION TO SCIENCE
Dr. GG’s principal contributions to science have been in the area of the genetic basis of Prakriti, the Ayurveda concept of constitutional body types. As part of a multi-center initiative, he has been involved in a number of studies that examined the relationship between Prakriti and biological determinants including physiological characteristics and cellular/molecular signatures that are known to distinguish between groups of individuals and are related to differential susceptibilities to disease. His specific role in these projects included the formulation of research questions based the understanding of Ayurveda concepts of Prakriti and the importance of Prakriti in susceptibility to diseases, diagnosis of disease and clinical management. He has also contributed to the expert clinical assessment of Prakriti as a senior Ayurveda physician in the published works.
He was the editor of a well-known journal of Ayurveda in India - ANCIENT SCIENCE OF LIFE. He has coordinated (1995 – 2003) an all India program on Local Health Traditions and Ayurveda which made significant contributions to the revival of ISM and LHT in India by the name Lok Swasthpa Parampara Samvasthan. He has co-authored few books on medicinal plants and has many research papers to his credit.
He has delivered many invited lectures on Ayurveda across India and abroad Germany, UK, USA China and Italy, South Asian countries and Kenya on topics related to treatment of lifestyle diseases, Panchakarma treatment and promoting use of herbs in primary healthcare.
He is a regular Consultant for AYUSH, DST (Govt. of India) on Medicinal Plant related Projects (Proposal evaluation and Work evaluation).
He is a Governing council member of prestigious Ayurveda colleges like JSS Ayurveda Medical College, Mysore (Karnataka, India) and Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheswara College of Ayurveda & Hospital, Hassan (Karnataka, India).
Under Dr. GG’s leadership, the Honorable Prime Minister of India, Sri. Narendra Modi inaugurated the vision conclave of Global Ayurveda Festival, a prestigious biennial event which was held from 31st January to 4th February 2016 in Kozhikode, Kerala.
1) Senior advisor on numerous technical committees in the government and private sector involved in the promotion of Ayurveda and medicinal plants.
2) Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public awarded by the Ashoka Foundation, USA through a rigorous national selection process.
3) Delivered invited lectures on Ayurveda across many countries including Germany, UK, USA and China – mainly on topics related to treatment of lifestyle diseases, Panchakarma detox treatments and promoting use of herbs in primary health care.
4) Conducted a 3-day Panchakarma workshop at Columbia University, New York in 1996.
1) Principal Investigator for Genomic Analysis and Gene Expression Variation in Human Doshaprakriti Based on Ayurveda, a Multi-centric study supported by the office of the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Prime Minister of India involving the premier research organizations in the country.
2) Principal Investigator in Development of Standardized Clinical Management Protocol as a part of the Doctoral study that involved design and development of management protocol and clinical documentation of Ayurveda management in approx. 150 study volunteers.
3) Investigator for a Controlled clinical trial, in collaboration with St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, on Diabetes Mellitus using an intercultural approach involving traditional Ayurvedic diagnosis that was sponsored by New York Botanical Garden, USA.
Books Authored & Edited
1) Chikitsakautukam in Malayalam published by Loka Swasthya Parampara Samvardhan Samiti (LSPSS), Coimbatore, India, 1993.
2) Kśemakutūhalam, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2009.
3) Glimpses of Wisdom, A collection of essays on Ayurveda Vaidyabhushanam K. RaghavanThirumulapadu, published by FRLHT, 2010.
4) Theoretical Foundations of Ayurveda, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2011
Bhojanakutūhalam, published by FRLHT, Bangalore, 2012.
5) Saving India’s Manuscripts, published by National Mission for Manuscripts, Delhi, 2012
6) Annam – Food for Health in 2017 (Co-Author)
1.Nature Science Reports (2015): Govindaraj P1, Nizamuddin S1, Sharath A1, Jyothi V1, Rotti H2, Raval R2, Nayak J3, Bhat BK3, Prasanna BV3, Shintre P4, Sule M4, Joshi KS4, Dedge AP4, Bharadwaj R5, Gangadharan GG5, Nair S6, Gopinath PM2, Patwardhan B7, Kondaiah P8, Satyamoorthy K2, Valiathan MV2, Thangaraj K1. Genome-wide analysis correlates Ayurveda Prakriti. Sci Rep. 2015 Oct 29;5:15786. doi: 10.1038/srep15786.
2. Journal of Translational Medicine (2015): Rotti H, Mallya S, Kabekkodu SP, Chakrabarty S, Bhale S, Bharadwaj R, Bhat BK, Dedge AP, Dhumal VR, Gangadharan GG, Gopinath PM, Govindaraj P, Joshi KS, Kondaiah P, Nair S, Nair SN, Nayak J, Prasanna BV, Shintre P, Sule M, Thangaraj K, Patwardhan B, Valiathan MV, Satyamoorthy K. J Transl Med. 2015 May 8;13:151.
3. J Ayurveda Integr Med (2014): Rotti H, Raval R, Anchan S, Bellampalli R, Bhale S, Bharadwaj R, Bhat BK, Dedge AP, Dhumal VR, Gangadharan GG, Girijakumari TK, Gopinath PM, Govindaraj P, Halder S, Joshi KS, Kabekkodu SP, Kamath A, Kondaiah P, Kukreja H, Kumar KL, Nair S, Nair SN, Nayak J, Prasanna BV, Rashmishree M, Sharanprasad K, Thangaraj K, Patwardhan B, Satyamoorthy K, Valiathan MV. Med. 2014 Jul;5(3):167-75.
4. Rotti H, Guruprasad KP, Nayak J, Kabekkodu SP, Kukreja H, Mallya S, Nayak J, Bhradwaj RC, Gangadharan GG, Prasanna BV, Raval R, Kamath A, Gopinath PM, Kondaiah P, Satyamoorthy K. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2014 Jan;5(1):43-9.
5. Murthy CK, Sriranjini JS, Shetty N, Gangadharan GG. Conference report -Samyukti 2013. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2013 Oct;4(4):251-2.
6. Vishnuprasad CN, Pradeep NS, Cho YW, Gangadharan GG, Han SS. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013 Sep 16;149(2):409-15.
7. Gangadharan GG, Padmashri P. K. Warrier, Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2010 Jan;1(1):66-7.
8. Gangadharan GG. Quality of ingredients used in Ayurvedic herbal preparations. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2010 Jan;1(1):16-7.
9. Gangadharan GG. Plant research in a new perspective. Anc Sci Life. 1996 Apr;15(4):254-5.
10. Gangadharan GG, Manohar RR. Concept of immunology in Ayurveda. Anc Sci Life. 1994 Jul;14(1-2):2-9.
11. Gangadharan GG. A REPORT: (Local Health Culture and Traditions in the Context of Primary Health Care). Anc Sci Life. 1986 Jan;5(3):209-11.
Key Leadership and Responsibilities
1) Vice President, AryaVaidya Pharmacy (Coimbatore) Ltd., Coimbatore-45 (1995 – 2003).
2) Founder & Vice President, Centre for Indian Medical Heritage, Coimbatore – 641 045, a center promoting Conservation of Medicinal Plants and with a Nursery of 100 plants specializing in propagation of Medicinal Plants and Training Centre in Local Health Traditions (1993-2003).
3) General Manager, Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (Coimbatore) Ltd., Coimbatore-45 (1992- 1995).
4) Director, Heal Ayurveda Pharmacy Limited, (A sister concern of The Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, specializing in manufacturing and marketing of patented and OTC Herbal Products (1998-2003).
5) Chief Medical Officer, United States Aid for International Development (USAID) sponsored project on Traditional Medicine and Primary Healthcare, at AVR Foundation, Coimbatore (1988 to 93).
6) Executive Director, L.S.P.S.S. (A network of Individuals and Organizations for promotion of Local Health Traditions), P.B. No. 7102, Ayurvedic Trust Complex, Ramanathapuram, Coimbatore – 641 045. (1986-2003).
7) Dy.Chairman of AVR Educational Foundation of Ayurveda-A leading Ayurveda Institution in South. Conducting BAMS Degree Course in Ayurveda recognized by CCIM. (1995-2003).
8) National Convener, World Ayurveda Congress-2002. The biggest ever Ayurveda Congress organized in Cochin, Kerala with participation of delegates from 32 countries.
9) Joint Convener, National Steering Committee of ‘PRITHVI-2005 ‘- an International Seminar on Eco-Friendly initiatives held at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
10) National Convener, World Ayurveda Congress 2010, Bangalore.
11) Member, Governing Council of Gene Campaign, New Delhi, A National Organization working on IPR of Indigenous people headed by Dr. Suman Sahai.
12) PI for the ambitious Vaidya Scientist Fellowship Program conducted by I-AIM, Bangalore – a 2-year program for Ayurveda academicians that aims to make them ambassadors of Ayurveda.
13) Editorial Board Member in Annals of Ayurvedic Medicine (AAM) A peer reviewed quarterly journal by Association of Ayurvedic Physicians of India (AAPI).
Membership in Professional Bodies
1.Member– Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani Drugs Technical Advisory Board (ASUDTAB), Dept. of ISM & H. Govt. of India (2000-2003).
2. Trustee of Patriotic and People Oriented Science and Technology Foundation, Madras, an organization of Modern Scientists, keen in revitalizing India’s Scientific Tradition (1995-2000).
3. Trustee of Patriotic and People Oriented Science and Technology Foundation, Madras, an organization of Modern Scientists, keen in revitalizing India’s Scientific Tradition (1995-2000).
4. Executive Member, Ayurvedic Medicine Mfrs. Org. of India, Kerala (1998 – 2003).
5. Member, Technical Advisory Body of All India Co-ordinated Program on Medicinal Plants, Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (1990 – 1993).
6. Member, Research Advisory Committee of Herbal Research & Development Institute (HRDI), Govt. of Uttaranchal, Gopeshwar.
7. Ex.Member, State Medicinal Plant Board, Kerala.
8. Ex.Member, Steering Committee, State Medicinal Plants Board, Tamil Nadu.
9. Ex.Member, Sub-committee on Medicinal Plants, State Biodiversity Board, Karnataka.
10. Ex.Convener, Scientific Advisory Committee of International Institute of Ayurveda (Chemistry Division) – approved as Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India. It is a Research Centre, doing work on Standardization of Ayurvedic Formulations (2000 onwards).
11. Ex.Member of Board of Management of CHETNA, A unit of Nehru Foundation for Development, Ahmedabad, an Organization working towards strengthening under privileged Women & Children, especially in the areas of Nutrition and Development (2000 onwards).
12. Ex.National committee member to review the TKDL Project of AYUSH Department.
13. Member of task force to monitor the development of AYUSH portal, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
14. Ex,Member of the National Task force for National campaign on Geriatric Care of CCRAS, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
15. Ex.Member of Scientific Advisory Committee (Ayurveda), CCRAS, Department of AYUSH, Govt. of India.
16. Expert committee member on excipients on AYUSH Medicines, AYUSH Department, Govt. of India.
17. Ex,Member of Task Force on Medical Manuscripts, Department of AYUSH, Govt. of India.
18. Working committee Member of Amity Institute for Herbal Biotech Products Development (AIHBPD), for streamlining India’s Traditional Knowledge towards formulating a Sui Genesis Regime, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala under Amity University, New Delhi.
19. Temporary Advisor to the Regional Director, WHO-2009.
Awards and Recognition
1. Fellow of Ashoka Innovators for the Public of Ashoka Foundation (FAIP), A US based International Organization working towards social change, 2000.
2. Award for the best International Awareness Building on Ayurveda from Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, Coimbatore in 2008.
3. Award for proficiency in clinical application of Ayurveda Shastra from Vaidyaraj Datar Panchaboutik Chikitsa and Samshodhan Kendra, Sangli, Maharashtra.
4. Shri Mathuradas Parikh Award for Excellence in Ayurvedic Profession awarded by Indian Association for the Study of Traditional Asian Medicine (http://iastam.org/), Pune in 2015.
- For CAPART-Council for Advancement of Peoples Action and Rural Technology,
Govt. of India, Department of Science and Technology (Govt. of India) – Consultant
(Proposal and Activity evaluation) on Medicinal Plant related Projects.
- For Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India on Medicinal Plant related
For Kerala State Council for Science and Technology and Environmental Sciences
• Visited China on invitation from Ministry of Public Health-People’s, Republic of
China to present a paper in III-International Conference on Ethno Pharmacology;
spent 21 days observing Traditional places of Excellence in Health Care in Beijing.
• Visited HONGKONG-for 3 days visit to Universities working on Traditional
• Visited U.S.A. on invitation to give Lecture on Ayurveda at Columbia University, New
York, Virginia University, Virginia and Maryland University, Baltimore.
• Visited Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and U.K.
• Presented paper at International Conference at ANN’s College at Oxford University
on Traditional Medicine organized by Global Initiative for Traditional Systems of
Health (GIFT to Health).
• Visited Germany for Expo-2000, Exhibition at Hanover, representing Indian
Government Pavilion, organized by Dept. of ISM & H, Government of India and
conducted pulse diagnosis (Nadipariksha) as per Ayurvedic traditions.
• Visited Rome-Italy, to deliver Lecture on Traditional Medicine with special reference
to Ayurveda and its Global applications, organized by COE (Centro Orientamento
• Attended an European Ayurveda Congress at Castrop-Rauxel, Germany and
delivered a lecture on Globalization of Ayurveda
• Attended as a resource person for a conference on ‘A Perspective & Approach of
Ayurveda’ organized by Kerala Ayurveda GmbH.
• Visited Nairobi, Kenya in December to attend ‘Methodology Workshop on Medicinal
Plants and Traditional Medicine’ organized by IDRC (Intl Dev. Research Centre)
• Visited Rosenberg GmbH, Birstein, Germany to attend 11thAyurveda Symposium
and presented a paper on ‘Panchakarma as prevention against heart diseases and
• Visited Myanmar during the month of March 2009 to attend a Regional meeting on
the use of Herbal Medicines in Primary Health Care, as a Temporary Adviser to the
Regional Director, WHO.
• Visited Italy, Germany and Austria to attend the 1st International congress on
Ayurveda during the month of March.
• Visited Germany to attend 11th International Ayurveda Symposium during the
month of September.
• Visited China to attend a Joint Conference on TCM-Ayurveda organized by
Hindustan Unilever Ltd. during the month of May 2010.
• Visited Rosenberg GmbH, Birstein, Germany to attend 12thAyurveda Symposium
and presented a paper on Psychiatry/Psychology in Ayurveda.
Visited Italy for attending Terra Madre 2010 in Turin, set up by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture and ‘Slow Food International’
Visited Kathmandu and presented a paper on Medicinal Plants Quality Standards
(physical and chemical): Developing Tools to Strengthen Market linkages between
suppliers and buyers sponsored by ICIMOD
Visited France for exploring collaboration possibilities with L’Oreal
Visited Germany for the 14th International Ayurveda Symposium in Birstein
conducted by the European Academy of Ayurveda in 2012.
Visited McGill University, Montreal, Canada for pursuing International Masters in Health Leadership – five visits of two weeks each during 2012-13.
Visited Malaysia to attend the Fourth Evidencce based seminar on traditional and complementary medicine in May.
Dr.Gangadharan was an invitee speaker at the International Conferencce organised by Ayurveda Practitioner’s Association, Singapore in June.
Attended 3rd International Congress on Ayurveda at Milan, Italy in September.
Visited Kuala Lumpur in April on a invitation by Malaysian Medical Association and presented a paper on “Different Models of Integrative medicine and need for a traditional based integrative approach”.
Visited Singapore in June on being invited for the 2nd International Ayurveda Conference organised by High Commission of India in Association with Ministry of Ayush & Ayuredic Practioners Association, Singapore and made a presentation on “ Importance of Ayurveda Eugenics to Geriatrics”.
Visited Bali, Indonesia from 15th to 19th August for the 'Grand Ceremony of Asia Pacific Mass Yoga Session and Living Science' and made a presentation on “Indian Ayurveda medicine – Detoxification and Rejuvenation”.
Visited Toronto (Canada) on an invitation for a 2 day conference (21st & 22nd October on Ayurveda and Health Environment as a Keynote Speaker and made a presentation on “Ayurveda – Duel Benefits of Wellness and Disease Management”.